Sunday 18 January 2015

Project #1

My first completed project for 2015 was a new duvet cover and pillow set for Rowan's cot bed.  I have some fabric my Mum gave me, which included a large amount of blue gingham.  I wasn't sure what to do with it at first as it's probably not a fabric style I'd have picked out myself.  Since toddlers can leak a lot, I figured I couldn't go wrong with a spare duvet cover.

I found a double sheet for £2.99 in a charity shop which I used for the bottom layer of the cover and for the pillow case.  It was in fairly good nick, and just had a small grease stain on it (pasty in bed anyone?).  I added a fleece strip to the top of the cover to make it more cozy (and to make sure the visually stimulating gingham pattern wasn't by Rowan's face whilst he slept!), and another strip to the pillow to match the cover.

It was a bit 'sew it and see' as I didn't work from a pattern.  I took my measurements, fold and sew lines from an existing duvet cover, and hoped for the best.
It turned out well, although I think I might replace the metal fasteners I used with buttons at some point in the future.

These aren't the best photos to show it off, but I was attempting to photograph it with Rowan (fresh from his nap) eager to help.

The completed duvet cover and pillow set.  Ironing is clearly 
not on my radar 

Chilling in Rowan's room

This was a very straight-forward and quick project.  It would have been a lot quicker if I had used my overlocker instead of using zigzag stitch to finish the seams.
It also turned out very cheap too.  I used fabric I had been given, spent £2.99 on a sheet which was enough to make two duvet sets (almost finished that one too - post to follow!) and used thread/notions I already had - I estimate that cost maybe £2.50 max.
In total I reckon it cost £4.00 to make (plus my time and the cost of using the sewing machine, but I'm not that pedantic. Actually, I'm absolutely that pedantic, but that's not the point).

Rowan likes his new bedding, and particularly likes the fleece top.  With this cold weather snap I think it's a welcome warm addition to bedtime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its an excellent duvet cover, the pale blue fleece really sets of the gingham and Rowan loved it.Well done Elaine,
love Lynn

Anonymous said...

Well done Elaine, you are getting better and better, I see an excellent seamstress on te way.

Love Mum,
xxxx

Paula said...

Good work Lainey! You should be really proud.

What a good looking boy my nephew is! Love him to bits!