Tuesday 8 January 2013

Rowan

Bit of an abridged version...
Mine and Gareth's son (Rowan) was born three days late on Christmas Day, 06:52AM, and weighing 7.1lbs  It was a bit of an ordeal, as I was in labour for 36 hours during which time the baby turned into a back-to-back position (a notoriously painful and difficult position to give birth to), and his heart and breathing stopped. I had a spinal tap, episiotomy and forceps delivery.

 

There was a horrible few minutes after our baby was born when there was complete silence.  No baby crying, no staff talking, just silence whilst the medics worked on resuscitating him.  Eventually, we heard a weak mewing sort of cry, and our son was then rushed off to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

 Disconcerting photo of Rowan attached to various 
equiptment.

Rowan was treated by being cooled to 34oC, and we were also fortunate to have him put on a trial for a treatment that reduces the spread of any potential damage.
I got to touch him a few hours after he was born, once the spinal tap was wearing off.  I was discharged the next day.

First contact



Rowan spent 4 days on NICU and he did amazingly well.  He 'passed' all the physiological tests, and recovered well when his ventilator and sedation was removed.  As we had to await one final MRI scan before we could take him home, I was admitted back onto the maternity ward with Rowan so I could feed him.  That was a long four days!  It was impossible to sleep, as if Rowan wasn't waking up for feeds then someone else's baby was, or someone was having obs etc. done.

Rowan has now been home for almost a week, and we are slowly adapting to life with a baby.  Although it is a bit of shock, no matter how prepared you think you will be!

 'Bump' photo.  41 weeks plus 5 days.

6 comments:

Paula said...

I love that bump photo! Wish I'd thought to do that with my three. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Rowan is adorable! So glad he is doing so well after his rather traumatic entry to the world. Fingers crossed I will get to meet him soon (go away Paula's cough!).

Anonymous said...

Brilliant photos and excellant pro`s. He really is a very cute baby, love the photo of him in his dressing gown. Sweet dreams to you all love Grandma Lynn xxx

Anonymous said...

Brilliant photos and excellant pro`s. He really is a very cute baby, love the photo of him in his dressing gown. Sweet dreams to you all love Grandma Lynn xxx

Paula said...

Lainey I've pinched the second to last photo for my blog. Hope that's okay? Let me know if you want me to remove it and I will take it down straight away.

Lainey said...

Thank you! Although Rowan seems to think night-time is a great time to be wide awake.

Pod: No problem. I don't mind if you want to use the photo. The one's I don't want people seeing/using are kept offline!

M-J said...

Congratulations!